If you’re 50 years old or older, it’s important to find a moving company that knows how to cater to your needs. Moving older adults may require more time, patience and consultation than other relocations. Not-to-mention coordination with adult children and senior living or assisted living communities.
QUESTIONS TO ASK ABOUT MOVING OLDER ADULTS
As you interview prospective moving companies (either for your own move or for your parents or relatives) ask the right questions:
- Does your company have experience moving older adults?
- Have you moved people into senior communities in the past?
- Have you done this both locally AND on an INTERstate basis?
- Can you deliver my household goods to a moving agent’s dock on an INTERstate move so it can be delivered to my senior community on a smaller truck?
- Will you put my belongings away in cabinets and drawers, or just leave the boxes packed?
- Do you use the same crews for each senior move?
- Can you handle special medical equipment if necessary?
- Do you work with any Senior Move Managers that could help me downsize my belongings?
GET PROTECTION FOR YOUR GOODS
Get several estimates and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Pay special attention to Valuation Coverage — the level at which you will be compensated if your household goods are damaged during the move. We recommend Full Replacement Value Protection (FRVP) to make sure your goods are either repaired or replaced in full up to their full value. Click Here to check out a video about valuation and get access to a variety of other resources.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATION FOR MOVING OLDER ADULTS
Wheaton Moving & Storage, an Indianapolis agent for Wheaton World Wide Moving, has worked hard to earn the van line’s Silver Certification.
The certification, which is endorsed by the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM), signifies that Wheaton’s personnel have completed a specific education program about working with older adults so they can create a fantastic customer experience for those customers. The program covers all of the items mentioned above and much more, making Wheaton a “go to” moving company for older adults.
Wheaton works with senior communities in Indianapolis and around the country and understand the special requirements of those communities — from accommodating limited delivery windows to using smaller trucks to deliver residents’ household goods without disturbing other residents in the community.
LET’S GET STARTED WITH YOUR MOVE
If you’re an older adult or are helping with an older adult’s move, contact Wheaton Moving & Storage today. We’re happy to help you with all aspects of your move!